Friday, March 4, 2016

NY Style Map: I'm In A New York State of Mind



It gets me excited to post and share my NYC adventures with you because it gives me a chance to relive wonderful memories and an amazing NYFW trip. You can always find me in a 'New York State of Mind,' because quite frankly, it's in my blood. If you guys remember, this trip marked my first 'momcation' since the birth of Rocco- away from both kids for the first time. I'll admit, the night before my flight, I had the worst anticipatory anxiety -as expected. The morning of, I cried through getting dressed, brushing my teeth, kissing the kids a gazillion time, and feeling miserable for leaving them. Once I got into my Uber, I cried some more. I'm sure my driver had a few 'wtf' moments as he heard me whimpering into my cellphone with I can only imagine was a very unattractive 'ugly cry' face at five in the morning. 

But once we landed, and I breathed that probably toxic, but invigorating city air, I came alive. I was back in my happy place and as Coco reminded me, "Enjoy your time alone. Enjoy the city, enjoy work, go hang out with our friends, and forget having to feed anyone in the middle of the night." Well put, husband. And that's exactly what I did. Jumping right into work, felt unbelievably good. It constantly reignites a passion of what I love to do. It's a big part of who I am that I constantly have to nurture. It makes me a better woman, a better wife, and a better mom when I take care of myself and those other parts that make me who I am. From red carpets to New York Fashion Week, I got to cover a little bit of everything. Interviewing Tina Fey and hitting the backstage dressing area with designer, Nicole Miller, I got a taste of red carpet celebrity from every angle. 

The best part was having zero agenda. I made no plans ahead of time to see anyone or hang out with anyone. I was going on this trip without any commitments. Everything was done on the fly. And I loved it! I had too much wine with my best friends, ate so much I couldn't move, and walked through every neighborhood I love until I couldn't feel my feet anymore. I tried restaurants I've had on my list forever, watched TV shows I hadn't seen in weeks, and even checked out the new Whitney Museum in the Meatpacking District. Oh, and sleep. I almost forgot what a full eight hours felt like. I had so much time to myself, I was almost overwhelmed with the possibilities of what to do! It was five glorious days of hanging out with myself. I like to think I was in good company =).



I had some time to kill in between shoots so I met up with my Miami-NY transplant shutterbug, Carmen Rodriguez (www.carmenishere.tumblr.com), to snap some some city looks for the blog. We found ourselves in the West Village, without any shortage of vibrant backdrops or interesting cityscapes. I love a good neighborhood shoot- pre-war buildings, conversational stoops, and busy street corners are so quintessential New York. And winter. Freezing winters are very NY as well, but I welcome the change of temperature. Thanks to my mom's vintage furs (as seen here), I rarely complain about the weather anymore. 

I am loving the bright and bold print on this Topshop Shirt Dress. Can you spot the kitties scattered on my frock?! Combined with the eye-popping white florals and the shades of blue, green and black, its a definitely a more fun and upbeat alternative. The youthful colors and playful print instantly caught my eye at the store. It's one of the things I love about shopping at Topshop- though trendy, their pieces offer classic and modern European undertones and cater to different styles. 

The only thing left to do- accessorize! 



I found this great tan colored belt in my friend, Bonita's, closet. It's such a simple and easy way to add some character to a look. I wanted to wear a more athleisure shoe with the dress- add some sporty elements into the mix, and I love these from Steve Madden. The only downside- after ten hours of wearing these slip-ons, I had two massive blisters by the end of the night. The things we do to look good! 

And like I mentioned earlier, my winter wardrobe isn't complete with one of my stylish momma's furs! I always have a fashionable piece of her with me and it just makes me adoringly happy! 

New York- you will always be home and I'm thankful for the opportunity to get away and recharge not only my career batteries, but also my momma batteries! I was ready to come back to Miami and hug my husband and kiddos after five days away. Though the trip was a much needed disconnect, in only served to help in making me bigger and better in every area of my life and New York always seems to be the perfect prescription.

 See you on the next one.


On Me: 

Dress- Topshop 
Shoes- Steve Madden 
Sunnies- Forever 21
Fur- Vintage 
Belt- (borrowed)

In Style, 

Kat

No comments :

Post a Comment